Subpages
Related Pages
Links
Files
Photo Albums
 
Our Club’s History
 
It was the Rotary Club of Dandenong with the assistance of the Rotary Club of Melbourne who chose to survey Warragul in late 1937 to look at the possibility of a new Rotary club.
 
The first gathering of prospective Warragul Rotarians took place early in 1938 at the Affleck Street home of Hedley Heighway, who was to become the Warragul Club’s first President. The Rotary Club of Warragul was formally admitted to Rotary International on 13th July 1938.
 
A ‘Big Night’ was organised to celebrated the establishment of the club and was held in the Warragul Palais (now the TattsLotto agency and the Priceline chemist) on Saturday 24 September 1938. Over 250 people were present to witness the presentation of the Charter. There was a big contingent of supporters from the Rotary Clubs of Melbourne, Dandenong, Sale and Bairnsdale with Rotarians also coming from Tasmania, South Australia, New South Wales and many parts of Victoria. The Charter was presented to President Hedley A. Heighway by District Governor J Burgess Watt.
 
To celebrate the 75th anniversary of the establishment of the Rotary Club of Warragul a comprehensive history of the club was prepared and released.